Pradhan Mantri Sahaj Bijli Har Ghar Yojana – Saubhagya is to provide energy access to all by last mile connectivity and electricity connections to all remaining un-electrified households in rural as well as urban areas to achieve universal household electrification in the country.
- The electricity connection to households include release of electricity connections by drawing a service cable from the nearest pole to the household premise, installation of energy meter, wiring for a single light point with LED bulb and a mobile charging point. In case the electricity pole is not available nearby from household for drawing service cable, the erection of additional pole along with conductor and associated accessories shall also be covered under the scheme.
- It was launched in 2017.
- The scheme is launched on the occasion of the birth centenary celebration of Pandit Deen Dayal Upadhyaya.
- Rural Electrification Corporation Limited (REC) is the nodal agency for implementing the scheme.
- To achieve universal household electrification in the country.
- Providing Solar Photovoltaic (SPV) based standalone systems for unelectrified households in remote and inaccessible areas.
- Un-electrified households in Rural areas, Remote and inaccessible areas, economically poor households in Urban areas (Non-poor urban households are excluded from this scheme).
- All DISCOMS including Private ones State Power Departments and RE Cooperative Societies.
- Skilled Manpower.
- The scheme envisages providing last mile connectivity and electricity connections to all remaining households in rural as well as urban areas.
- Funding Pattern: 60% by central grants, 30% by bank, loans and 10% by states.
- Government will provide free electricity to all households with atleast one deprivation under Socio-Economic and Caste Census (SECC) data 2011 in rural areas and economically poor households in urban areas, while others will be charged 500 Rs per household in ten equal installments with the bill.
- The beneficiary household will get five LED lights, one DC fan, one DC power plug. It also includes the Repair and Maintenance (R&M) for 5 years.
- The households located in remote and inaccessible areas would be provided with Solar Photovoltaic (SPV) based standalone systems with LED lights, fan, power plug etc.
- Recently, Government has announced 100 crore rupee award for states that would complete the household electrification early under the Saubhagaya scheme. Apart from discoms, employees would also collectively get 50 lakh rupees award for completing the task of electrifying households.
- Better Quality of Life, especially for Women, in Daily Chores