Powers and Functions of Gram Panchayat: At every level of statehood, the level of authority differs in the role and its subsequent function. While the powers between the center and the state are different, the gram panchayat rules are the major authority that forms the base in all villages and rural areas. This legislative body frames the laws and rules for the rural population. The people under the gram panchayat are meant to follow the laws and other projects of social and political importance. Therefore, the identification of various programs under this lawful body is meant to protect the rights of the villagers and help in their major development. On this note, let us look at some of the powers that are exercised by the gram panchayat.
Powers And Functions Of Gram Panchayat:
Also Read: Difference between IES and IAS
The key powers and functions of the gram panchayat:
The gram panchayat is the sole committee that rules a particular village district. Therefore, the certification of the panchayat must be obtained before any laws or restrictions are imposed upon the people. Since the elder members of the village form the panchayat, some of the major powers and functions of Gram panchayat are as follows:
- The most important factor lies in the developmental programs that are implemented upon the people and initiated under the best conditions. The schemes under the panchayat help the poor villagers in several ways.
- The identification of several beneficiaries and offer the value of schemes to them. The Gram Panchayat can help to deliver these schemes and make it all the more possible to grant options to every village family.
- The main function of the gram panchayat is to reflect on the support of the villagers. This refers to all financial cases related to funds as well as a property transfer.
- The condition of voluntary labor is also present within the function of the gram panchayat.
- The better-known functions of the gram panchayat aim to alleviate poverty by serving the poor masses. It aims at restoring the laws of the land and making it possible for the villagers to receive equal pay for their work.
- The main head of the village also lays equal stress on the education of the villagers. Since employment is one of the biggest factors of concern, the schemes issued by the panchayat help to create job opportunities as well.
- Matters related to meetings are also controlled under the leadership of the gram panchayat.
Who is the sarpanch and what are his basic powers?
The gram panchayat works under its leader who is known as the sarpanch. He is the main person who has to reside in every meeting of the panchayat. The gram sabha chooses the sarpanch and bestows some legal powers with him. Therefore, some of the most critical ones are as follows:
- The foremost right of the sarpanch is to look into the ways of women’s education and deal with inequalities that prevail among the lower sections of the villagers.
- The sarpanch must organize meetings in the village, and must duly address and adjourn them every single time.
- The Sarpanch must be present in all meetings and even consider the taxes of the land. Steps to improve the well-being of society must be initiated on his part only.
- All suggestions as given by the sarpanch of the gram panchayat are final. This must be accepted and approved by the individuals and even duly followed. Any individual who fails to follow the laws of the land can receive severe punishments as well.
- The sarpanch is like the chairperson and individuals can pose any questions to him. The sarpanch must also answer it truly.
- The sarpanch must actively pass the laws of the village and ensure that there will be growth and sustenance and future security. A threat to the village is a complete treat to the sarpanch as well.
- All actions issued under the sarpanch of the gram panchayat are reversible only if the actions are causing negativity in the village.
Thus, apart from the sarpanch, the gram panchayat also comprises of the deputy secretary. Financial matters mostly pass through the orders of the secretary and later on approved by the sarpanch! The panchayat offers a complete holistic view of rural life!