Union Public Service Commission, UPSC conducts the prestigious Civil Services Examination, every year to recruit candidates for vacancies in IAS, IPS, IRS, IFS officers, and many other Group A, B posts in India. This year the UPSC was supposed to conduct the Civil Services Preliminary exam on May 31, 2020, but since the lockdown has been extended to May 3, 2020, the candidates are requesting the exam to be postponed.
Is the UPSC Prelims 2020 exam postponed?
This is a frequent question asked by all the UPSC aspirants nowadays. The whole nation has come to a standstill with the recent pandemic. All the aspirants support the government in all its efforts in tackling this but however due attention should be given to the aspirants as well. At this point in time, they are in a confused state of mind with a lot of questions like, when the exam will be held, will the lockdown be extended, health worries, not enough study materials, lack of proper clarity and so on.
As of now, there has been no official update about the postponement of UPSC Prelims 2020 made to date (29th April 2020). However, the press releases by UPSC and various statements made by Government officials on television interviews have indicated that the UPSC (IAS) Prelims exam might get postponed.
Here are some of the grievances put forth by the IAS aspirants.
- UPSC Prelims requires dedicated preparation of 3-4 months and looming uncertainty overextension of lockdown is hampering our preparation
- As the government declared lockdown without any warning, most of us are at home with no access to Books, Study material, etc.
- Anxiety and stress are preventing us from performing at our best.
- We feel our health is at risk if we are made to write exams during this pandemic
- There is a high chance that some of us will be personally affected by COVID-19.
- Some of our fellow aspirants are yet to appear for interviews and they will need sufficient time to prepare for prelims
- A few aspirants who have offers from IIMs and RBI need clarity on prelims and mains dates so that they can plan their future accordingly.
- There is a lack of coordination between UPSC and DoPT, with Honourable Dr. Jitendra Singh supporting and assuring us of rescheduling.
From various quarters, the demand is increasing to postpone the IAS prelims 2020 exam to a future date because the candidates have been suffering due to multiple reasons because of the lockdown. This petition was given to MP Mr. Shashi Tharoor and he has also in a twitter post, demanded clarity on the Civil Services prelims 2020 exam date.
What should the aspirants do at this point?
UPSC is a prestigious exam that impacts the aspirations of over a million families each year. The lack of clarity is causing students mental, physical, and economical stress all at once. We understand that without a fixed date in mind, it won’t be easy but as future civil servants of the country, one should be ready to face any uncertainty in life. What’s most important is not to lose focus but keep on preparing no matter what.
As a disciplined aspirant, until the official announcement comes from UPSC, treat the date of exam as May 31, 2020, and prepare accordingly. If a new date is announced on May 03, 2020, treat that as a golden opportunity. Here’s how:-
- Use the additional time to cover all the topics which you left out.
- Improve knowledge in your weak areas.
- Practice more online mock exams.
- Revise and make all difficult concepts thorough.
How to check the UPSC Exam 2020 Postponed Information?
Stepwise procedure for checking if the UPSC Exam 2020 is postponed is granted by the Union Public Service Commission on its official website. Candidates are requested to follow the below-provided instructions to download their UPSC Exam 2020 details without any difficulty. The following is the procedure to download:-
Step 1: Click the Official website upsc.gov.in
Step 2: Search for the Union Public Service Commission Various Post Exam
Step 3: Then the Candidates UPSC Exam 2020 Postponed will be displayed on the screen
Step 4: Check out their Details confirmed
Step 5: Then take a print out.
Will UPSC Prelims 2020 be conducted online?
Practically this is not that easy as lakhs of students apply for the UPSC Civil Services Preliminary Exam.It is also near to impossible to conduct a single-day exam in IT-centers without a technical glitch. If UPSC becomes online, the exam needs to be conducted in multiple-days and different sets of question papers must be published. However, that will result in a lot of complaints regarding variation in the question-paper difficulty-level.
According to the Honorable Minister, there are chances of advancing the date of UPSC civil services prelims 2020 but the final decision will be taken on May 3rd only. If the Covid situation in India normalizes before the first week of May 2020, there are chances that the prelims might be conducted on May 31st itself. The important point to note is that you must prepare with the same intensity as if the prelims will be conducted on May 31st itself. These uncertainties test your character to the core. So stay firm, focused, and determined!