The NLCP is implemented by the Ministry of environment and forests since 2001 for the conservation and management of polluted and degraded lakes in urban and semi-urban areas.
It is to restore and conserve the urban and semi- urban lakes of the country degraded due to waste water discharge in to the lake and other unique freshwater ecosystems, through an integrated ecosystem approach.
Activities covered under NCLP:
Prevention of pollution from point sources by intercepting, diverting and treating the pollution loads entering the lake. The interception and diversion works may include sewerage and sewage treatment for the entire lake catchment area.
- In situ measures of lake cleaning such as de-silting, de- weeding, bioremediation, aeration, bio-manipulation, nutrient reduction, withdrawal of anoxic hypolimn ion, constructed wetland approach or any other successfully tested eco-technologies etc depending upon the site conditions.
- Catchment area treatment which may include Afforestation, storm water drainage, silt traps etc.
- Strengthening of bund and lake fencing, shore line development etc.
- Lake front eco-development including the public interface.
- Solid waste management and provision of dhobi Ghats is generally not covered under NCLP.
- Prevention of pollution from non-point sources by providing low cost sanitation.
- Public awareness and public participation.
- Capacity building and training, research in the area of lake conservation.
- Any other activity depending upon location specific requirements.