- NAM is to promote AYUSH medical systems through cost effective AYUSH services, strengthening of educational systems, facilitate the enforcement of quality control of Ayurveda, Siddha and Unani & Homoeopathy (ASU &H) drugs and sustainable availability of ASU & H raw-materials. It envisages flexibility of implementation of the programmes which will lead to substantial participation of the State Governments/UT.
- It is a centrally sponsored scheme.
- It was launched during 12th five year plan.
- To provide cost effective and equitable AYUSH health care throughout the country by improving access to the services.
- To revitalize and strengthen the AYUSH systems making them as prominent medical streams in addressing the health care of the society.
- To establish a holistic wellness model based on AYUSH principles and practices
- To improve educational institutions capable of imparting quality AYUSH education
- To promote the adoption of Quality Control of ASU&H Drugs and making available the sustained supply of AYUSH raw-materials.
- AYUSH systems of medicine, namely Ayurveda, Yoga & Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha & Sowa-Rigpa and Homoeopathy. •
- Components of the Mission o Mandatory Components (80% of the Resource pool)
- AYUSH Services (including co-location of AYUSH facilities at Primary Health Centres (PHCs), Community Health Centres (CHCs) and District Hospitals(DH)
- AYUSH Educational Institution
- Quality Control of ASU &H Drugs, Medicinal Plants
- School Health Programme: to address both physical and mental health needs of School going children using Yoga and counselling o Flexible Components (20% of resource pool)
- AYUSH Wellness Centres including Yoga & Naturopathy
- IEC activities,
- Crop Insurance for Medicinal Plants
- Public Private Partnership provision and Interest subsidy component for Private AYUSH educational Institutions.
- Monitoring and Evaluation – Dedicated MIS monitoring and evaluation cell would be established at Centre/ State level.
- AYUSH Gram: one village per block will be selected where AYUSH based lifestyles are promoted.
- It has been decided to operationalize 10% of the Health and Wellness Centers (HWCs) of the Ayushman Bharat Scheme through the Ministry of AYUSH through State / UT Governments.
- So, 1,032 AYUSH Dispensaries under NAM will be upgraded as AYUSH Health and Wellness Centres.
- Subsidy is being given to farmers for cultivation of medicinal plants.