- AAY was a step in the direction of making TPDS aim at reducing hunger among the poorest segments of the BPL population.
- A National Sample Survey Exercise pointed towards the fact that about 5% of the total population in the country sleeps without two square meals a day. This section of the population could be called as “hungry”.
- In order to make TPDS more focused and targeted towards this category of population, the “Antyodaya Anna Yojana” (AAY) was launched in December, 2000 for one crore poorest of the poor families.
- To target poorest of poor population and provide them relief from hunger
- Landless agriculture labourers, marginal farmers, rural artisans /craftsmen and persons earning their livelihood on daily basis in the informal sector.
- Households headed by widows or terminally ill persons/disabled persons/ persons aged 60 years or more with no assured means of subsistence or societal support;
- Widows or terminally ill persons or disabled persons or persons aged 60 years or more or single women or single men with no family or societal support or assured means of subsistence
- All primitive tribal households;
- All eligible Below Poverty Line (BPL) families of HIV positive persons
- It covers poorest of the poor families from amongst the BPL families covered under Targeted Public Distribution System within the States and provides them food grains at a highly subsidized rate of Rs.1/ per kg coarse grains, Rs.2/ per kg. For wheat and Rs. 3/ per kg for rice.
- In order to identify the households, the guidelines are stipulated according to the following criteria like landless agriculture labourers, marginal farmers, rural artisans /craftsmen etc. and Households headed by widows or terminally ill persons/disabled persons/ persons aged 60 years or more with no assured means of subsistence or societal support.
- It is a part of NFSA (National Food Security Act) and the households under AAY are entitled to 35 Kg of foodgrains per household per month
- States/UTs are required to bear the distribution cost, including margin to dealers and retailers as well as the transportation cost.